Combining over 3 decades of autoclave manufacturing expertise, Melco Steel, Inc. designs and builds custom-built vulcanizers in a broad range of configurations, primarily for the rubber industry. Our standard and custom-built vulcanizers can be used for curing plastic and rubber products. Depending on your specific rubber processing needs, we can build vulcanizing autoclaves in direct steam-injected as well as electric dry-heated models. Our custom dry vulcanizers offer optimal heat and pressure combinations ideal for processing advanced materials, a feature absent in conventional steam heated systems.
Available in either horizontal or vertical orientations, Melco Steel’s rubber curing autoclaves can be easily integrated into OEMs’ production facilities. Typical auxiliary systems provided with our vulcanizers include vacuum pumps, carts, and steam generators. Our instrumentation options range from simple microprocessor-based controls to network compatible computer-based controls systems. These controls can be specifically configured in accordance with your process control needs.
Operators can document process data using circular/strip chart recorders or data loggers. As a complete turnkey fabrication shop, we design, engineer, fabricate, and test autoclaves to meet your specific vulcanizing requirements. In addition to manufacturing solutions, Melco Steel also offers support services such as installation, FOB Factory, and on site start-up.
Custom-Built Vulcanizers Specifications
Vulcanizing Process Cycle Types
Maximum Working Diameter
Maximum Working Length
Maximum Operating Pressure
Maximum Operating Temperature
Maximum Wall Thickness
Heat Transfer Fluid
Cooling Coil Heat Exchanger
Quick Opening Door
Safety Relief Valve
Shielded Electrical Heating Unit
- Encapsulated blower motor eliminates the high maintenance necessary for through the vessel shaft sealing.
- Proprietary blower motor design allows operation at any combination of pressure and temperature.
- Engineered circulating fan assures excellent heat transfer to the load and exceptional temperature uniformity.
- Proprietary method of placing and securing insulation minimizes heat loss through the pressure vessel and minimizes operating costs.
- Location of typical electrical heating unit is shielded by cooling coil to prevent radiant heating of load.
- Cooling coil is a single pass heat exchanger designed for precise temperature control with ample provisions for thermal expansion to minimize thermally induced stresses and failure.
- “Man-Inside” emergency alarm cables are provided on larger autoclaves which allows operator to completely disable all autoclave sub-systems. It requires autoclave door to be opened to reset the alarm.
- Load track and floor is designed to allow for thermal expansion yet provide full structural support.
- ASME approved safety relief valve and rupture disc are provided on separate vessel penetrations to assure independent and safe operation. Many other redundant safeties are incorporated to assure operator and equipment protection.
- Most vessel penetrations, such as vacuum, thermocouple and cooling are built into removable and replaceable ANSI flanges. This allows easy modification or repairs without compromising the structural integrity of the vessel.
Harris Quick Opening Door Features
- This proprietary breech lock door allows full and easy access to the autoclave interior within one minute after completion of a curing cycle.
- Safety is inherent in its design, but we also include mechanical, hydraulic, electrical, and pneumatic interlocks to prevent door operation while the autoclave is pressurized.
- No relative motion of the door with respect to the pressure seal provides long o-ring life.
- An oxygen sensor/fresh air purge safety interlock is available to prevent opening the door unless safe levels of oxygen are present. This complies with recent OSHA rulings.
Multiple Equipment Computer Control Monitoring
Recording with Backup
Honeywell Computer Controls
Network Compatible Computer-Based
Control Systems Programmable
Microprocessor-Based Controls Systems
Set Point Controls
Vacuum Control Types
Vacuum Monitoring Options
External Cooling System
Oxygen Sensor/Air Purge/Safety